Monday, January 4, 2016

AIDS BABY


If I were different
I would be another child,
Who would react warmly when my mother smiled.
Maybe someone would hold me, speak in a loving tone,
Maybe then my parents would have taken me home.

I saw her face once,
but the glass frame between us might just as well
have been a brick wall
I lifted my hand
In my incoherent language I started to call.
She winced, my love denied.
I let my hand fall to my side.
She walked away, I do not know her name,
She left me,
a symbol of her shame.

In my infant's body an adult sickness does rage,
it tears throughout my body,
it takes no heed of my age.
I fear the darkness,
even in the light
I feel lonely,
too weak to face this fight.
I do not blame anybody,
but I need to know:
is this my fault?

But things are as they are
I'm not just another child
I'm this disease's victim.
Without cause, without trial.
I lie in this cot
And wait for someone to understand
It's not medicine I want,
I just need someone to hold my hand.

                                                       AW
                                                                  With permission

No comments:

Post a Comment